Thursday, September 07, 2006

Last night was the long-awaited Keith's Brewery tour. Most of the first-year SIMs (there are 54 of us!) and a few of the second-years toddled off to the waterfront to watch women in wench-dresses and men in suspenders explain to us how hops and grains and water become beer. Then they gave us a drink (no, I didn't have any) and sang us "What Do You Do With a Drunken Sailor?" It was a fun half hour, but I can't believe people pay $20 for the experience.

After the Bewery we moved on to the Henry House for dinner (where I'm pretty sure I saw the guy who sold me my couch). During conversation with some girls from out west I was appalled to discover several large gaps in their knowledge of Eastern Canada: 1) they did not know PEI was famous for potatos; 2) they thought Cape Breton was a town in Nova Scotia, not an island; and 3) one Albertan thought that Nova Scotia was a three-hour FERRY ride from TORONTO! That being said, these girls are extremely nice and also excited to be in the Maritimes, so I think I'll just educate them about Atlantic Canada as much as I can. After all, it's not their fault they're from Western Canada... (I'm just kidding Laura!) Actually, I'm really enjoying getting to know my classmates, even the Albertans. ;)

In other news, the two pigeon eggs on my balcony have hatched. I thought I heard peeps last night, so I went out today to check -- and there are two scrawny, ugly little baby birds in the nest. I thought that baby birds would at least be cute! I guess I was picturing yellow chicks or something...

4 comments:

Lynda said...

There is no way that pigeons could ever be considered as cute.

Evil Halifax pigeons. Be careful. They're very bold.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rosey! I hope you are enjoying Halifax. Jeff wants to go to Darrel's and try a peanut butter burger. He's been craving them for months.

We were wondering why they call you SIMs?

Love,

A & J

Rosey said...

Lynda, the pigeons are insane. I accidentally kicked one in the Public Gardens and it just looked at me.

Jeff & Alexa, I don't think I could eat a pb burger. I can barely manage burgers in the first place! But if I walk by Darrel's I'll think of you. And SIM is School of Information Management. Sorry, not like Sim City :P

LuLu said...

Hehe, yay for Alberta pride!
And it's okay Rosey, I remember being rather pissed off with my 10-year old Calgarian classmates for not knowing that Charlottetown was the capital of PEI (it didn't help I visted this lovely 'town' every summer...) But come on! We LEARNED the provinces in Grade 4, and most East Coasters know that Vancouver isn't on Vancouver Island- which is a rather tricky fact!