Sunday, May 06, 2007

Well, I finished my practicum on Thursday. Making a little boy laugh until he fell over was definitely the highlight of my three weeks in the Children's Loft, but I also enjoyed being the troll in a puppet version of the Three Billy Goats Gruff, playing with construction paper, having a four year old tell me I was soft (I assumed it was a compliment), hearing a boy gasp excitedly when I showed him the shelf of books about dinosaurs, helping an elderly lady send emails to her nephew in Japan, and explaining to a little girl from Columbia what the word "poo" means. And if any of you have a chance, look up the book Bark, George by Jules Feiffer, because it might be one of the funniest stories I've read in a long time. That's what I was reading when the little boy fell over.

Friday I went out to UPEI to visit at the library and hear about all the groovy things that are happening since the new head librarian's arrival. I spent the rest of the weekend making myself walk around in the great outdoors (can anyone explain to me why it was snowing on Satuday?) and watching ridiculous amounts of Season 2 of Grey's Anatomy. Oh, and I bought pants, which is a significant achievement for me.

Tomorrow is my first day working at library at Veteran's Affairs, where I'll be for the rest of the summer. I'm looking forward to learning about life in a special library and Nicky, my new boss, has promised field trips to several other types of libraries in Charlottetown as well. Who knew there were this many libraries on PEI? I sure didn't.

No comments: